Sequencer to PCBs

Now the necessary changes to original sequencer have been done and tested on breadboard, so it is time to start designing the printed circuit board(s).

The sequencer uses mostly standard 7400- and 4000-series ICs. They are not very hard to get, I have many of them in my own stock, and local Hacklab has good supply of vintage components. The 74C922 keyboard encoder is a bit more rare, I ordered it from eBay. And soon after that Hacklab got another component donation, including bunch of 74C922s. Such is life.

Other than that, there are couple of 555, ULN2003 and the RAM, which I already mentioned in a previous post. Nothing exotic.

As previously said I’m using Eagle free version for designing PCBs. It has some limitations but they are not that bad as they look. The sequencer contains 24 ICs, so there is no hope in fitting them to one 8*10 cm board. But two boards might be feasible, it is only 12 ICs per board. When stacking those with spacers, the stack will be much more space-friendly inside the enclosure than one larger board.

When dividing the ICs to the two boards, main goal was to minimize the connections between the boards. In my opinion, I managed it quite well: only 9 signals + supply and ground from board to board. By putting a 10 pin pin header/female header pair to the boards, the board stack is also easy to separate.

There is only one 5 V regulator which supplies both boards. The input voltage to the regulator will be something like 15 V, so there will be quite a big voltage drop and hence power dissipation in the regulator. But the HC- and 4000-series ICs do not need that much current, quite small heatsink will be enough, according to my tests on breadboard.

In this kind of digital boards I usually try to connect most of the cabling with connectors. This makes the cabling neat and modular and easy to disconnect if needed. Pinheaders and corresponding female ones in the cables are normally my choice.

After some drawing and thinking, I came up with this kind of allocation of the functional blocks between the boards:

  • Sequencer board 1:
    • Led + step oscillators
    • Led + step counters
    • Address muxes
    • Step button encoder
    • Led control
    • Run/stop toggler
  • Sequencer board 2:
    • Memory + latch
    • Bit inversion XORs
    • Channel encoder + mux
    • Pulse generator monostables
    • Trigger pulse latches
    • 5V regulator

Boards will not be very tight, but tight enough so that it makes no sense to try to etch them home. They will be two sided, have quite many vias and so on. This time I will get them made by a PCB factory. I usually use Elecrow, they are doing neat job. This “factory or home etching” decision must be made before designing the layouts.

 Again sitting some hours with Eagle, and designing:


 

The resulting schematics and Eagle files are in my Github.

After couple of weeks waiting for Elecrow’s shipment, the boards arrived. Elecrow ships normally quite fast, but the cheap transport from China to Europe is not the fastest. But I'm not in hurry with these projects, there are no deadlines.


And after a couple of hours of soldering, the boards look like this:


If someone is wondering how I decided, which ICs are SMD and which are DIP: I did not. They are what I happened to find.

Here is my quick-and-dirty test setup for testing the sequencer, it simulates the buttons and leds.

Here is a drawing documenting the various connections related to the sequencer: buttons, leds, tempo pot and others.


Now also the sequencer part is ready, next phase will be deciding about the enclosure.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secrets of the YM2154

Reversing the PSR-70 hardware

Digging into YM3806