Retro&Reverse

 


This is a blog where I’m documenting my assorted electronics projects and their backgrounds. As the name implies, most of my projects are somehow dealing with retro electronics and reverse engineering things. I’m trying not to get limited to any specific area, but often I find myself tinkering with yet another project related to music, games or robotics.

My main motivation in all projects is that the result should be as useless as possible. Taking non-usefulness as the main objective opens up a whole new world in regard to project management: you don’t have schedules or deadlines, because nobody is expecting the result to become ready. You don’t have requirements, because nobody is wanting the result to function in any specific way. You don’t have a budget, because nobody is willing to pay anything for the result anyway. You have complete freedom to do whatever you like, and not to do things you don’t like. Sounds ideal project to me.

If an electronic device would have even a faintest possibility to be useful, meaning somebody might be willing to pay something for it, Chinese factories are already mass-producing it and selling it at a price lower than its component cost. Considering this fact for a while, the conclusion cannot be anything else: the only electronic devices worth building yourself are the totally useless ones, because they are not readily available.

This is my “declaration of non-usefulness” and I’m trying to keep this as a guiding star in my projects. Projects which all have the same project plan: it is ready when it is ready and it does what it does. 

 

Projects currently in the blog

Analog drums - a fully analog drum machine in the spirit of 70's

Yamaha PSR-70 keyboard reverse engineering - for documenting the sound chips YM3806 and YM2154

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secrets of the YM2154

Reversing the PSR-70 hardware

Digging into YM3806